Submissions are now closed.
View what has been submitted here
What is World Design Capital?
World Design Capital 2014 is an opportunity to amplify the power of design. It is a chance for everyone to use design to reconnect Cape Town and its people in new and interesting ways.
Our vision is to transform Cape Town through design, into a sustainable, productive African city, bridging historical divides and building social and economic inclusion. Our mission is to identify, nurture and promote projects that offer tangible evidence of how design can improve lives, within our uniquely South African and African context.
Design is an activity that uses creative and iterative processes to take account of a range of factors and needs in the innovative development of products, services, systems, environments and communication, in response to the human condition and society’s needs.
- Western Cape Design Strategy
Call for submissions: 1 - 31 July 2013
This call for submissions is a chance for you to contribute to the 2014 programme. The year will be a dynamic mix of projects, activities, exhibitions, citizen-led initiatives and events that will showcase for the public the range of innovative and creative services, processes, products and objects that use design as a tool for social, cultural and economic change.
We celebrate design in its broadest sense, which means that even if you don’t have “Designer” written on your business card, we invite you to show us that it is written across your thinking and your heart.
What are we looking for?
- Contribution to fulfilling the vision and mission of World Design Capital Cape Town 2014
- Clear evidence of how your project uses design and design thinking
- Multidisciplinary thinking and collaborative partnerships
- Ability to address human needs and challenges within the context of our city, country and even continent
- Projects offering social, economic and cultural impact beyond 2014
- Technical and financial feasibility
- Something extra special for 2014
How do I submit my proposal?
Complete the online submission form. Provide all the information requested in a clear, succinct way. Include supporting documents and a video link if you have.
Click on the "Sign Up" link to create your login account and start the process.
The submission form is downloadable as a Microsoft Word document here to enable you to work offline, then return to the online form later. Please do not send us hard copy submissions or any other documentation.
How does this work?
230 projects were shortlisted after our first call for submissions.
This is our second and final call for submissions. Submit between 1 and 31 July 2013.
As before, a panel of curators, led by the Cape Town Design NPC, will evaluate the submissions and make recommendations for inclusion in the programme.
We will publish results of the second call on 31 October 2013.
If your project is selected:
- You’ll get official recognition as a WDC 2014 project, be included in the programme for the year and get meaningful exposure through our integrated communication efforts.
- You’ll get access to key local and global players in the creative industries, providing opportunity for collaboration, networking and mentorship.
Frequently Asked Questions
Terms and Conditions